Friday, March 25, 2011

Special Patients

And so do patients!!
One thing I love (and sometimes hate) about my job is that the patients do not sleep through the night... You get the occasional one that has had Ambien and does snooze a little, but the majority don't. This gives me the chance to get to know my patients better then I would have thought (ya know with me working nights and all). There is one patient who has really touched my heart. The funny thing is he has never even been MY patient. Michael had him one night, but I never had. Me and this patient bonded over me giving him a cup of coffee every morning around 6am. We got to talking and he just found a way right to my heart... and Michael's. But the thing that really makes him special to me is the fact that he is so caring for others even though he is in the hospital himself. As y'all know my Grandmother passed away Monday. I stayed up in Dothan that night and wasn't at work. This patient was soo worried when I wasn't there. He got the full story from Michael and asked Michael to tell me that we were in his prayers. Tuesday and Wednesday nights were CRAZY nights and I didn't even get a chance to go on the side of the hospital he was on. Last night was slower and I was able to hang out on the other side a little bit. At 6am he came out of his room and made a Bee-line for me. He proceeded to try to comfort me and was very caring... he even offered to help us with anything we needed once he got out of the hospital. He has so much going on himself, it just really touched me that he was so willing to help others. Reading back over this I realize I made it sound a little creepy, but it was not creepy in any way. Nursing can be so rewarding... I love my job!!!!

No comments: