Tuesday, June 19, 2012

The journey to becoming a mommy: Part 1: Labor

This is the story of the birth of Baby Makenna. My labor and delivery was very intense and TV show like. I'm going to blog it in 3 or 4 different sections because it is simply just too much for one post. But here is one Picture to tide you over until the last post!

The time had finally come! On Sunday June 10th, 2012 I woke up with increasing back pain and contractions. I had such severe pressure down in my pelvis that I couldn't even sit down comfortably. Throughout the day the contractions got closer together and stronger. By that evening my mom and sister convinced me that I was indeed really in labor. By this point my contractions were 1-3 minutes apart. We then decided we should head to the hospital. Shelley, Mom and Dad came with Michael and I. We got to the hospital and checked into triage. They hooked me up to the external monitors and checked my cervix. I was 2 1/2 dilated. So they called Dr. Moralas and he said to have me walk for 2 hours. So walk we did. We went 2 ish miles outside the hospital and did stairs. By the time the 2 hour mark hit my contractions were so painful that I would have to stop walking while one was happening. We headed back to L&D and they checked me again and my cervix hadn't changed. But her head had moved down a little bit and my amniotic sac was buldging. They then said the dreaded sentance that no pregnant woman ever wants to hear: "You are in labor, but it's very early. Go home and get some rest." I took the news well(ish). I made it all the way to the car before I started crying. I was so frustrated!! The next morning I went to see my OB at 9am. I had still been contracting all night long and was already starting to get worn out. He checked my cervix and I was 3 to 3 1/2 dilated. Since I had been in labor so long already he recommended we schedule my induction for the next morning. So that's just what we did. I went home and took a long nap and the Michael and I double checked the hospital bags to make sure we had everything we needed. Then we went to Babies R Us and bought some last minute items. We got home and tried to go to sleep, but were not surprised that we weren't able to. So we played Halo and then finally slept for about 3 hours. At 3:30am the alarm went off and we woke up for the last time as just us. As I got ready I had such a weird feeling. Just knowing that this was the last time I would shower and eat breakfast without having a baby to worry about was very eeiry. We said a prayer and headed to the hospital.

Stay tuned for Part 2: The induction

1 comment:

The Hargretts said...

AHHH Cliff HANGER!! No problem. I can wait. I'm excited for part 2!